Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How do I find out host and domain name to setup my Roadrunner Internet with my Linksys BEFSR41 router???

Okay, I have Roadrunner and am trying to connect two computers to the internet through a Linksys router, model # BEFSR41. I set it all up but cannot get it to work (always only one computer will be connected, the other says limited/no connectivity). I went to the Linksys Help site and read all about the setup for the computers and the router also. It says when using cable service you have to fill in host name and domain name on the router's setup page, which I would have to contact my Internet service provider for. I just did this, but Roadrunner just won't assist me at all with this setup issue. They said I will have to contact Linksys for that, and as far as I understood it, they only assist if it is a RR router! I read from many people that it works fine with a Linksys router and just hate how the RR customer support won't do anything. They did not give me host/domain name info. How can I find that info out?


Can anyone PLEASE help me?????????? Please!|||Log into your routers settings, make sure you have "obtain ip address automatically" checked. Check to make sure you have DHCP enabled on the router as well, thats what assigns your ip address to each computer. Make sure both computers are plugged into the router. Should have 2 green lights on the router by the numbers 1,2,3 or 4 (two of them should be lit up) stating that you have two wired connections to it. If you dont, check the cables. Go to the pc that isnt getting on the web ( I assume you described that one will connect, the other one wont). Double click on its network settings and make sure it is set to "obtain ip address automatically". Click on "start" then click "run". Type cmd in the white box, and hit the enter key. This should bring up a black box with a command prompt, type in ipconfig and hit the enter key. You should get some thing like this:


IP Address: 192.168.0.2


Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0


Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1





If you get that kind of info, your connected to your router and are communicating. If not, check your cable connections (try a different ethernet cable) also check your network connections in your device manager. You may have your network card disabled or the wrong/missing drivers. Normally routers are plug and play, just plug them in, and away you go.


FYI: I have road runner, and I dont need to fill in any host or domain name settings, that information is in the modem that the cable company provides me. If your router is set to obtain an ip automatically, you dont need a username/password.|||Try the clone method, it is very easy.





See my answer at: http://j9parlance.bravehost.com/RoadRunner-Linksys





Best of Luck!

Report Abuse


|||I am not that much clear whether you can change your Ip adress, but any queries regarding Ip-detais can be solved here, http://www.ip-details.com/

Report Abuse


|||I work for Time Warner cable. The pop server is variant to your location. I live in Western Ohio so my pop settings are pop-server.woh.rr.com and my smtp settings are similar, smtp-server.woh.rr.com. Everyone's is the same, except the woh part will be specific to your location. Enjoy :)

Report Abuse


|||Instead of trying to set up the Linksys router to connect directly to the ISP, have it connect to your cable modem. It should have the capability to connect to that device via auto-discovery, and then you don't need the information from the cable company.





Your two computers will connect to the router. The router connects to the cable modem. The cable modem connects to the Internet.|||I have charter cable which seems like the same as RoadRunner. Id first connect the 1 pc to the modem, right click on your local connection and open it. Click on support, then details. Write all the info you see there. Connect your router to the modem... Enter the routers login page and start plugging in the info u just got into the settings of the router. Email me if you want more help...losangelesman25@yahoo.com.|||set it up as a subnet mask....go to the Linksys website and look at your manual, then you can log into your router and configure it the way you want.





RR does not like you having a router, think about it a minute.....they would rather have you rent a cable modem for each computer you have....so don't expect any help from them...LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment