Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How to setup my Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router with my ATT dsl Service?

I have recently setup an att dsl line. I did not use a username or password to get online (non pppoe?), i was givin a static ip and other specific values for the dns, subnet mask, and default gateway. I was connected to the internet for a few days now. I just bought a linksys wireless router and have no idea how to set it up to work with the dsl modem.





I assumed i would need to use the static ip settings in the router and filled in the info with the same stuff i used before. This allowed my wired pc connected to the router to work, but all my computers with wireless connection could only link with the router but had no internet.





I figured it wasnt getting internet because the other pcs were not configured to the static ip like the wired one was (had changed it when i only had the modem), but i dont want to have to reconfigure every laptop that connects to the router





how do i setup my router to work with the dsl and allows any computer to juss connect and get online?|||Well first you have to plug the main DSL cable from the provider to the Internet input port on your router. Then if its wireless your looking for the router will automaticly broadcast the signal. But since pcs dont pick up wireless you will have to run a standard RJ-45 cat 5 ethernet cable from one of your routers 4 other output ports to your PC's ethernet port on the back of the tower.





hope this helps.|||Lets go racin boys!|||ain't going to happen...


Try network connections%26gt;properties%26gt; tcp/ip


properties 192.168.15.(100-199)


Depending on the router....linksys uses 100-199|||Try to read the Manual / contact the customer service for further assistance!|||If you have a static IP address with your DSL that is what your internet interface in the router gets. There are a few connection types, try the direct connection.





As far as your LAN is concerned, the router should be a DHCP server which gives out a range op IP addresses, so that all your laptops/computers can get that stuff from the router. Nothing static on your LAN.|||I just set up the exact same router a few days ago.


Call their 24/7 customer support. They are very helpful and the wait time is minimal. They will be able to explain it to you.|||I dont believe you have to do this to all your computers for example the computer in my room is a linkseys but the one in my office does not have internet connection through this. I bought a USB port adapter... All I did to install this was enter the cd and followed the step up explained step by step. Hope that helps! If not try talking to workers at best buy!

1 comment:

  1. HI! I think regarding this blog is superb bunch of information who is useful for me and learnt
    i am feeling better read this article thanks for sharing it .

    Useful link- Linksys Router Setup

    ReplyDelete