Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My linksys wrt54g setup screen (GUI) makes my router restart?

Hi everyone. I'm having a weird problem. I bought a new Linksys wrt54g V8 router 3 months ago. I set it up and worked flawlessly for 3 months. A few days ago I bought a new laptop (not a new model) I used it with the router with no problems although I had to change in the WPA to tpk. But yesterday the new laptop started loosing connection and getting it back alone. I thought it was the computer, but I started having the same problem on the first notebook I used for the first 3 months without any trouble.





Trying to resolve something I went to the setup page (http://192.168.1.1) logged in without any problem but then I noticed that the router restarted alone. There I found a trigger at least.





So now I tried everything: power cycle, factory reset, firmware upgrade (now has v 8.0.5), but the router keeps on restarting every time I log in to the setup page. Sometimes I get to navigate through a couple of pages, but then gets restarted. Some other times the pages load without the words (just the background and graphics).





As I restored factory settings, I'm wired connected but seems to be the same.





The weird thing is that for the last couple of hours I been able to surf the web without any problems, or at least I can't get to trigger it when I'm surfing. But as soon as I log to the setup page.. Boom.. the router restarts.





Some info:





Have a Thinkpad t41 802.1b (that's the new laptop I mentioned)


Have a Macbook 802.1g (the one I used for 3 months)


Tried both wireless and wired


Have Cable modem service


Power recycle didn't work


Back to Factory Settings didn't work


Firmware upgrade didn't work.


No firewall problem.


No Zonealarm installed


Browser cache cleared.


Tried with 3 different browsers and 2 different computers.


Seems that the thinkpad has caused some problem. I just upgrade it to Win XP SP3 with some other updates it downloaded. Maybe something there...I don't know.





Any clues? Any ideas? Someone having the same problem?





Thanks in advance!!!|||Several thoughts, both bad.





One. You could have a very sharp hacker trying to keep control of your router. Try resetting it, getting in via an Ethernet cable and keeping wireless administration turned OFF. Taking the router to someplace far away and working with it there, even off the Web, may also help isolate the problem.





Two. This is the really scary one. I've worried for a long time that eventually someone out on the Web is going to whip up a router virus. There's a little operating system in there, so it's feasible. Once they have the router, your network is a 'bot and there's darn little you can do about it. I'm not sure even the router manufacturers have this possibility on their radars. I would have expected a load of new firmware would have taken this out, but I'm not sure. I haven't a clue as to what to do about this.





Much good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment